Stop flickering menus with Desktop composition on

Stop flickering menus with Desktop composition on

Postby Skinnytorus » Monday, 16.September 2013, 18:53

I run Win7 64. When I run wz4 with Desktop composition on I have occasionally flickering menus. Any way to make an option to enable/disable double buffering? Or maybe some other way to fix this problem?

Here is what ryg wrote about it:
The Werkkzeug4 GUI (unlike Werkkzeug3) uses plain Windows GDI calls which draw directly to the screen without any double buffering (at least if Desktop Compositing, i.e. Aero, is off). When animated, Ops will continuously redraw (in case their caching state etc. changes). So, short version: this is expected and not properly fixable without using either double buffering (which forces GDI to use software rendering and is much slower overall) or very detailed dirty region tracking (which is a pain in the ass).
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Re: Stop flickering menus with Desktop composition on

Postby ikam » Friday, 20.September 2013, 05:44

I found in the altona framework a simple option that disable the Vista/Win7 Desktop Window Manager. It stops the flickering on my config with win7 and good news it provide an interesting fps gain. I need to test on xp to see if this not provide any problem or if I need to test the system before set this option.

however on windows 8 the problem can't be fixed by this way.

see microsoft doc :

As of Windows 8, the information in this section is no longer valid. DWM (Desktop Window Manager) can no longer be programmatically disabled,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Friday, 20.September 2013, 07:55

In fact, in window 7 the problem is easily solved by setting Disable Desktop Composition to "On" in wz4 shortcut preferencies. When running wz4 it disables desktop composition for the whole windows theme. The problem is how to make wz work preperly with Disable Desktop Composition set to Off (i.e. the generic win7 display mode - desktop comp is on). Considering win8 doesn't allow us to disable Desktop Window Manager programmaticlly, and looking into the future, this problem should be addressed in some way...
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Friday, 20.September 2013, 09:44

yes i'm agree, but in wait of a better solution, this simple flag will do the trick.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Friday, 20.September 2013, 09:46

OK. Let there be the flag for now. Thanks.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Saturday, 21.September 2013, 07:27

finally not a good idea to set this flag, because it desactivate the destop windows manager during all wz session.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Saturday, 21.September 2013, 13:06

OK. Hopefully some day this problem will be solved. Anyway, thanks for the effort.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Return to New Feature Suggestions