DeleteFace And FromMesh enhancement

DeleteFace And FromMesh enhancement

Postby ikam » Tuesday, 14.August 2012, 15:00

Hi guys

Holidays are gone, so back to werkkzeug :p, with 2 news :

1. As you know, deleteFace operator delete faces of a mesh, it's good. But it doesn't delete vertices associated of deleted faces (you can show that vertices are always here if you place a select operator over deleted area with an output vertex mode). In many case it's not annoying, but I think that in some case it could be nice to delete this vertices too, so I've added a flag to keep (by default for compatibility) or delete associated vertices of deleted faces. It's a very little modification and it seems to work great. First, I thank to add a new operator (delete) to delete faces and/or vertices. But it need more code and time, so I choose this simplest way. Note that if you want delete vertex from a vertice selection, just use a select conversion (Vertex to face) with select operator...

2. I've added to FromMesh operator a random parameter to make irregular shapes from a mesh when converting mesh into particles nodes.

What do you think about those modifications ?

Here the wz4 exe prototype and wz4 example file (in this example I could used a grid instead of a cube for the terrain, but it's just to show how deleteface delete associated vertices)
ikam
Operator
Operator

Re: DeleteFace And FromMesh enhancement

Postby Skinnytorus » Tuesday, 14.August 2012, 19:18

hi, ikam.
It's so nice to have you back! I hope you enjoyed your holidays. :)
Well, I've taken a quick look at your modifications and... yes! The are great! WZ crashed just once, but I can't repro this crash
- maybe later I will report what's causing it...
1. Delete face works ok. Really a nice feature. Thanks.
2. Random clone distribution is fine too. What I would add though is the ability to randomly scale the cloned meshes within some limits (random rotation is already there in Chunks).
How about that?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Tuesday, 14.August 2012, 19:23

By the way, Grid does not work with FromMesh operator for some reason... :(
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Tuesday, 14.August 2012, 21:28

Hi Skinnytorus

How are you ?

For crash, I don't know, it didn't happen to me but I'll check tomorrow if there is a problem.

2. for random scale, chunks op already had a ScaleRand param, is that you want ?

For grid it works if you use the displace op before, I'll check tomorrow why it's needed.

thks
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Tuesday, 14.August 2012, 22:51

Is there a way to generate particles node only from vertices position of the mesh ?

FromMesh generate nodes from a bounding box "around" the mesh and add particles nodes inside this box, you can also move this box with offset param and raster impact on node concentration inside the box. this is why it didn't work with a flat grid, howewever if you give volume to this grid it will work (displace or transform...)

It's a great feature, but what I want too is a way to generate nodes from the same position than the mesh vertices. (like in wz1 with option op and generate sprite). I don't think it's very difficult to code this feature, but before that, maybe there is already a way to do this in wz4 that I missed... ?
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 08:22

Ok there no way to create particles node from vertices mesh. Mesh (in particle menu) is interresting but generate nodes from chunks only.

So, I've coded FromVertex :p

and updated the example file to show diff between FromMesh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 08:26

I'm not too bad, thanks. Summer is almost gone, but my vacation is still ahead ;)

1. As for the random scale, I can't find random scale in the Chuncks op. The Scale that is there scales the clones uniformly (not randomly). What I'm thinking of is to have particle meshes of random size (like pebbles/rocks on the seashore). I also want to manually set scale variation limits (e.g. i want to randomly scale the particle meshes +/- 10% of their actual size). Do you see what I mean now?

2. "For grid it works if you use the displace op before" - Great, I'll try that this evening (but at the back of my head I can remember that it didn't work with prior displacement either...). It would be nice if you could fix the problem with 'FromMesh'-ing the Grid without displacing it first.

3. "Is there a way to generate particles node only from vertices position of the mesh ?" - I tried and found none. I wish we could do that though... Thank you for your efforts. It would be a great feature! Just like the old wz1 times :)
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 08:31

Wow, you posted your message while I was typing mine :). I'll definitely have a look at the new version this evening. Respect. You are as quick as always! :)
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 09:29

1. ScaleRand is the last parameter of chunks op, I think it operate as you want, but in my opinion it need a little improvment (limits, seed...)

2. with FromVertex I don't think that changing FromMesh to support flat mesh (grid) is neccessary. FromVertex generate nodes from mesh surface, instead of FromMesh which generate nodes from mesh 'volume'.

3. fixed :p
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 10:33

1. Ahh, my bad... Too much coffee makes me blind to details ;) Will you post another version with ScaleRand improvements?
2. Agreed.
3. Yey! Great.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 18:34

OK. Works fine for the most part.
Added some examples and comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 18:57

thanks.

Grass is very nice :)
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 19:12

The grass is nice, but it eats up recources. Look at the FPS counter ;)
So, will you go any further with the subj mod or is it time for a pull request?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 20:12

I think it's ok for now, I'll send a pull request
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 15.August 2012, 20:39

Cool. Congrats, man! :)