Turn the page

Re: Turn the page

Postby ikam » Saturday, 14.February 2015, 19:36

Some news :
I'm actually working on the 3D engine.
At first I thought to use an existing one as third party library, but after many attempts and tests, I didn't found any that suits me (too weight, not designed to works as a demotool, too many dependencies, no wanted features, no suited licenses, etc...) . So I decided to write my own... It is more work but it allows to master all aspect of the engine and finally It is really more interesting to code and surely easier to maintain and debug for next operators effects and features.
Nothing really exciting to render yet, but soon ;)
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Saturday, 14.February 2015, 20:08

Cool! Glad to hear that, dude! :) Is it capable of any raymarching stuff? It would be so cool to render entire world environments internally!
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Sunday, 15.February 2015, 18:03

Attachments
rdf.wz4
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Sunday, 15.February 2015, 19:31

Yep. So it's just a shader ;)
I'm interested in stuff like this: http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/ ... rching.htm
and volumetric atmospheres with clouds and sun. It's all possible with raymarching. The other thing is how to make it play with the rest of the scene?.. Anyway, I think the guys who made Lumion made the best possible realtime sun/sky/ocean (http://lumion3d.com). Although the hi-rez version is implemented as a post-effect, their work is just amazing.
Re. your file: Spectacular, master code guru! =D>
Is there any way to pass wz camera pos and rot values to the shader so that the shader obey the free camera?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby CybeREX » Monday, 16.February 2015, 06:55

Well if your tool would support Union, Substraction, Intersection, Blend, like in the link above, then I can start model some scene in the 3d max and then recreate it in your 3d engine.

btw any import/export fonctions from software like 3ds max or Maya 4D?
CybeREX
Demomaker
Demomaker

Postby Skinnytorus » Monday, 23.February 2015, 08:51

Hey, ikam.
If it's not too much trouble... Could you please post the latest 64 bit wz4CE binary with the libs and the player? The matter is that trying to cobble together some very huge scenes (with mandelbrots etc.) I run out of memory. I could have installed the VS trial version, but it tends to leave too much garbage in the system after uninstall and I'm kinda lazy to clear that out. Many thanks in advance. :)
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 25.February 2015, 11:05

CybeREX :

For now, there is no csg mesh operators. but it is something I would like to add in the future... previous example here use a different way than mesh operators to build geometry (all is done in a shader) and it's not compatible with others mesh operators.
And If you mean to import/export nativly max or c4d full scenes : not directly, but import/export of 3D geometries in common files format is possible (obj, collada, fbx, 3ds, x, ...) with the assimp plugin library (like aiImport mesh operator in latest wz4ce).

Skinnytorus :

Ok try this. (it's a build without physx nor assimp).
Attachments
WZ4_CE_1_15_x64.rar
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 598 times
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 25.February 2015, 11:43

Many thanks, bro! But why are physx and assimp missing? I'm planning to use them as well. Is there a problem compiling wz4CE 64 with all the libs?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Wednesday, 25.February 2015, 12:29

no build pb, I just need to reinstall theses libraries on my system... (I made a bit of clean, and I don't use them for now...)
Once done I will provide you another build.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Wednesday, 25.February 2015, 13:03

Ah... I see now. Thanks. It would be wise to also update the builds available at http://werkkzeug4ce.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby CybeREX » Thursday, 26.February 2015, 18:06

Yes, I mean I create 3d geometry and textures in "third party software" and then import it in your tool and complete texture and material in it with scene and camera/lights.
Well, also I try UDK (working alredy in this tool) and maybe Unity.
CybeREX
Demomaker
Demomaker

Postby ikam » Sunday, 01.March 2015, 01:07

The workflow should be very similar to werkkzeug, my tool is only a wz clone, with a different editor, render engine and render features.
For example, actually main procedural content (bitmaps and meshes only) is exactly similar to wz4 because I made a wz4 library that contains the procedural texture and mesh generation of wz4 and I can import it as a plugin inside my tool.
As all operators in my tools comes from modules that you plug in, I'm also working on alternatives modules to generate others procedural content, like textures from gpu, or meshes from revolutes and lofting techniques...

a little screenshot : what are you seeing ?

- 1 mesh generated from the wz4 library
- rendered with my 3D engine (OpenGL based for portability)
- and painted with built-in materials (actual shader is a single pass solid wireframe - like explained here here)
Attachments
dedza.png
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Sunday, 01.March 2015, 07:36

Thanks for the update, bro. Are you sure wz4 mesh library is any good?
As I can see, it's based on half-edges as described here:
https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2012/02/2 ... ns-theory/
https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2012/03/2 ... -practice/
IMO that's where the problem with extraction of vertex normal vectors is coming from. This also goes to displacement and almost all mesh-related stuff.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Sunday, 01.March 2015, 07:59

I find the wz4 mesh library good enough to do the job in a first time (enough powerfull and modular to build most of basics model we want and ready to use inside my tool, so I can focus on others code part of the tool).
Once all will be done, I could evolve the wz4 mesh library or maybe create or use another one in remplacement or parallels...
What I mean is once the tools will be working fully, procedural content is easy to integrate and to evolve.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Sunday, 01.March 2015, 08:23

No problem, man. It's OK to use wz4 lib for now. I hope it sees some improvement in future.
What about materials? Are going to use the same concept as in wz4?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Return to Announcements