selection layers

Re: selection layers

Postby reEto » Thursday, 31.May 2012, 17:30

ah. if you want to spend time on this ok. in my case i would spend the time for doing demos and just creating ops if i need them. but its ok, hope the communnityy will thank you for your work. by the way blender, 3ds wont be directly imported this time. and always remember: never change a running system, sometimes playing around causes more bugs. :)
reEto
Partikelmeister
Partikelmeister

Postby ikam » Thursday, 31.May 2012, 22:42

Hi reEto

by the way blender, 3ds wont be directly imported this time

directly no, I meant through a known file (obj, xsi, maybe lwo don't see yet). I've exported a blender mesh to .obj and import it into wz4 and it works like a charm (obj is enough for me, since I mainly use blender).

And yes doing demo is cool, I like to create mesh,demo, and textures, but I like also the coding part (before I used open sources 3D engines like irrlicht, orgre...to build scenes). I love werkkzeug, even if it has many bugs or it lacks some features, it correspond exactly to what I'm looking for to build little 3D scene/anim and play with. So If I could bring some new features or correct bugs, I'm happy. I think it's great to evolve this tool :D
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Friday, 01.June 2012, 20:57

hey, ikam
I see you have launched another pull request.
maybe you could post your last version here so I could test it?
thanks.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Sunday, 03.June 2012, 09:25

ikam
congrats, man!
now that the select slots are merged, I'm looking forward to see your slect logic op.
have you got any sketch yet?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Sunday, 03.June 2012, 16:12

Yes I started the select logic op, but nothing to test yet ;)
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby reEto » Tuesday, 05.June 2012, 11:35

oh, as i said earlier... "never change a running system!". now the chucks op is broken. hope you get fixed that, and hope that will be the last op you may fixxx. :) hehe, i will follow this updates. :)
reEto
Partikelmeister
Partikelmeister

Postby ikam » Tuesday, 05.June 2012, 13:32

Yop

Yes, this is the only broken op. I saw it in code when I checked all access to Select variable.
Chuncks use a trick to temporaly store chunks index into this variable with a -1 possible value when chunks is not yet set. Since Select is a non signed variable (0..65535) this trick is no longer possible and stored indexes could have a range higher than a 16 bits values. I suggested an easy way to fix it using the same method than original, but as Ryg said it's just recreating the original situation that is not a very sexy choice and a worse cure than the original disease, chunks calculation need to be revised to properly compute index and use it.

I'm agree with you to never change a working system, but sometimes it's neccessary to avoid some consequences, like here, at origin when I suggest a slot solution wich was more memory consumer. There is no many way to add slot without adding more memory. The actually solution is probably the best (no memory add) and it's the same mehod used in wz3. Anyhow select mechanism is the most important operator in wz, it does deserve some attention and need all optimisations when possible.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Friday, 08.June 2012, 13:50

Ryg has repaired chunks :P
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Saturday, 09.June 2012, 20:35

yay! very well.
what's your plan for the select logic op?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Return to Support