Extrude Op: UVs of the new faces

Extrude Op: UVs of the new faces

Postby Skinnytorus » Thursday, 17.May 2012, 06:07

Dear All,
I think I've found another oddity related to the Extrude op :)
Try extruding some faces of a mesh with material and then look at the newly created faces. Their UV coordinates are screwed...
i.e. the newly created faces do not seem to relate to the new UV coodinates after extrusion. Is there a workaraound or a fix for that?
Thank you.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Re: Extrude Op: UVs of the new faces

Postby Skinnytorus » Thursday, 17.May 2012, 18:52

In the meantime I figured how to make UVs work in XY and YZ planes just by adding the following code at the end of extrude procedure in wz4_mash.cpp:

// uv mapping
Wz4MeshVertex *mv;
sFORALL(Vertices,mv)
{
mv->U0 = mv->Pos.x + mv->Pos.z;
mv->V0 = mv->Pos.y;
}

This code originates from Font3d procedure from the same file. Unfortunately, it does not fix the UVs for XZ plane. Any ideas as to how to make it work?
Thank you.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Thursday, 17.May 2012, 19:45

Found a quick workaround (at least it works on a simple Perlin tex): Just use a MOD Material with Tex2D Surround mapping for textures.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Saturday, 19.May 2012, 10:59

Hi!
I can't decide if it's a bug or a feature :). If I convert face selction to vertex selection after extrusion and transform it, the selected area get detached from the mesh!
That is what explaines the extrude UV issue. It turnes out, the extruded geometry is in fact unconnected to the original mesh!
Here is the exapmle file reproducing this issue. Imho this needs a fix (an option in the extrude op defaulting to current behaviour for compartibility).
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Saturday, 19.May 2012, 11:38

I tried inserting MergeVertices(); function at the end of Extrude procedure - no luck.
Any ideas?
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Thursday, 24.May 2012, 13:42

It's not seems to be a problem with unconnected geometry, because you can reproduce this without extrusion, this is more the result of the select faces and convert to vertices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby ikam » Thursday, 24.May 2012, 15:07

maybe the best solution it's to use as you said a text2dsurround
ikam
Operator
Operator

Postby Skinnytorus » Thursday, 24.May 2012, 17:46

Thank you for this discovery: Converting face selection to vertex selection and then transforming it disconnects this selection from the mesh!
What a unique style, ah? Indeed, we must live and learn! ;)
As for the Tex2D Surround, I guess we'll have to use it for now...
On the other hand wz3 doesn't cut UVs when extruding a face selection. I still think that there is some bug in wz4 that does not allow to keep UVs together after extrusion
(unless it was done for some purpose we don't know about yet).
Skinnytorus
Operator
Operator

Return to Support